Sunday, November 05, 2006

Remember, remember,
The Fifth of November,
The gunpowder treason and plot.
I know of no reason
Why the gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot.

Happy Guy Fawkes Day everyone. My day went off just as I've been planning it for the last year. Ever since I heard the movie V for Vendetta was being made I planned on watching it tonight, and ever since I knew I was going to be in England for Bonfire Night, the plan has been written in stone. We had a a nice bonfire and fireworks, though there were no Guy Fawkes effigies to be seen. Then we went for a walk in the Mattersey park and had a nice theological discussion (is there anything more enjoyable?) We came back here, and watched V for Vendetta in my room.

Normally I would proceed in detailing an elaborate philosophical dissection of the wonderfully crafted film, but this one is even deeper than the Matrix, so it would take at least 3000 words. I think I'll just list some of my favourite quotes.

"A revolution without dancing wouldn't be a revolution at all."
"We are being buried beneath the avalanche of your inadequacies, Mr. Creedy."
"Ideas are bullet-proof."
"People should not fear their governments. Governments should fear their people."
"One thing is true of all governments. The most reliable records are tax records."
"However, this vital visitation of a by-gone vexation stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin, van-guarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition."
"I say it's time we pay them back for a little tea party they held for us a few years back."
"And as always, England prevails."
"Strength through unity, unity through faith."
"We only tell the stories, we don't make them up. That's the government's job."

If you have not seen this movie, go rent it. If you have no idea what Guy Fawkes Day or Bonfire Night are, go straight to Wikipedia and find out. It is a rather intriguing day. Bon voyage.

5 Comments:

At 8:19 PM, Blogger Jo Dyck said...

oh jordan...you forget to mention that the real importance of guy fawkes day is that it doubles as tal's birthday. slacker.

 
At 8:28 PM, Blogger JordanPedde said...

man thats awesome, I envy your participation of guy fawkes day (I have had a longing to see it since I had an exchange teacher in grade 4)... and V for Vendetta, interesting movie... though being in an art school I have seen a few too many "V"s spray painted on shirts, bags, and anthing that can be sprayed

 
At 2:50 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Jordan,
My opinion of the film is as follows...

1. It goes completely against Christianity. It was actually like propoganda against it. Without the word like in that last sentence.

2. Despite it's Anti-Christian propoganda, it was well orchastrated.

3. It used only stereo-types in that movie, thus making it very unoriginal (for a film, it was in one sense, but in reality, it wasn't). Or so I've noticed.

yeah.

 
At 3:47 PM, Blogger Jordan/Yoda/Clambo said...

I would say it was more anti-religion, but chose to use Christianity as a demonstration of religiosity. I very much enjoyed the structure of it, and the literary and philosophical content of it. Also, I find the "free your mind" message of it (and the Matrix trilogy) to be a message that the world really needs to hear.

 
At 11:13 AM, Blogger JordanPedde said...

it does make some good points, i'll give you that, but personally being at an art school, I have seen way too much of this philiosophy, and this anti-religion, anti-order thinking... I dunno, not a fan of the film for that (but the filmography and writting are great)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home