Friday, October 26, 2007

My Day at Cambridge (WOO!!!)

The largest library for Biblical Studies is in the Vatican.
The second largest is in Jerusalem.
The third largest is Tyndale House, Cambridge.

Tyndale House is closed off to anyone but PhD students in Biblical Studies, so I had to adopt the clever guise "Research Assistant" to the ineffable Rev. Cpt. [future Dr.] Isaac An.

It was full of world class scholars. It's been home to such Biblical Scholars as Rowan Williams and I. H. Marshall, among MANY others. It's the old gentleman's club that's always seemed as fantastical as Narnia.

As a person whose being was located within the sacred Tyndale House, it was assumed by many'a'being that I was a fellow world class Biblical Scholar. This assumption failed when I was frequently asked "What are you studying?". "Well," I would timidly reply, "I'm actually a lowly humble B.A. student. An 'interested intruder', if you will." "Right." End of that conversation.

During the times I successfully avoided that dreaded question (and only conversation starter for socially inept scholars) I managed to pull off a pretty good "yes yes, I know what I'm doing, and I know what I'm talking about" impression. It's simple. Whenever you recognize the name of a scholar, pipe in with an "Oh yes, that fellow! Jolly good thesis on the redaction critical method applied to slowly evolving apocryphal New Testament literature!" Ok, maybe I didn't actually pull that one off on the spot.

After six hours of pseudo-hyper-intellectualism and peaceful research (the extent of which was major overkill for a B.A. essay), we indulged in a little bit of tourism. It's really easy to look like a tourist when traveling with both an American and a Korean. Cambridge is an amazingly beautiful city, with ancient University buildings everywhere. Particularly stunning is the King's College Chapel, planned by Henry VI (not Edward III, as I was sure it was). I also got some pictures taken in front of St. John's College, my Grandad's old College.

This definitely gives me added incentive to put in the necessary work; to one day, use Tyndale House without having to be an absolute poser to get in.

1 Comments:

At 9:22 AM, Blogger calebkzylstra said...

Jordan, I your fantasies amuse me. Do they all involve so many books and knowledgeable professors?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home